Skip to main content

Mussel & Chorizo Broth with Foraged Herbs & Mussels Herbs & Parmesan Shells.

Mussel & Chorizo Broth & Mussels in Shells
After co-hosting a full 13 hour day of foraging with Jesper Launder (www.jesperlaunder.com/) on Anglessey back in April, I headed to Abersoch to visit friends staying there. I took along various foraged items gathered on the event and made a version of this. Two days later I popped back over to Anglessey to gather seaweeds to take back to Leeds, I also picked a few more mussels and then made this dish on my return.
Ingredients: 
Chorizo 
Red Onion
Garlic
Tomato Puree
White Wine
Seaweed powder 
Mussels
Fennel
Wild Garlic 
Sweet Cicely
Wild Fennel 
Jack-by-the-hedge
Truffle
Parmesan
Seabeet shoots
Bread  

Method:
1) To make the broth: I fried chorizo until slightly crispy, added finely chopped red onion until soft, added garlic, tomato puree, cooked for 3-4mins, added a splash of white wine and reduced until thick.

2) I added a tin of chopped tomatoes, a little seaweed powder, a little boiling water, the cleaned mussels and waited until mussels opened (approx 5-6 mins). 

3) Removed mussels from shells but added shells back to main broth and simmered gently for 20 mins. 5 mins before serving I added wild fennel/wild garlic/sweet cicely stems and stirred into wilt & garnished w/ wild garlic flowers.

4) For the Mussel Shells: I chopped up most of the mussels & popped them in a pan with some of the other ingredients from the broth & cooked until most of liquid evaporated, I added finely chopped wild fennel, wild garlic & jack-by-the-hedge to this, seasoned with truffle salt/fresh black pepper, covered in grated parmesan and popped in oven to crisp up.

5) Garnished w/ wild fennel/sweet cicely.Served it all with fresh crusty bread and lightly steamed, buttered Seabeet shoots. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nettle, Wild Garlic and Ground Elder Soup

It's officially Spring, a time of new beginnings, longer daylight hours (yeeha!) and powerful, nutritious herbs. This recipe is one I first made a number of years back, at my first ever food festival - I had a 30 minute slot, so needed something quick easy and representative of some of the tasty, nutritious and powerful herbs available - it's a recipe that I've tweaked over the years and recent tweaks have left me feeling very satisfied with the results and those who have shared a bowl or two with me. The great joy of this soup, other than it's delicious and satisfying taste, is the ease of identification of the wild ingredients, the very small quantities required and the simplicity regarding the cooking. This isn't just a 'simply green tasting soup', this is wild gourmet food at it's simplest and finest.

Ingredients:

75g Nettle Tops
75g Wild Garlic
35g Ground Elder
2 Onions
5 Garlic Cloves
1 - 2 Tbsps Fermented Brown Rice Miso Paste
2 - 3 Tbsps Coconut…

Pheasant and Wild Garlic Dolmades

I should really call this 'when opportunity knocks'! There are moments when opportunities arise while out and about, it's all about good fortune, random happenings, destiny (however you like to call it) and whether or not to act on the opportunities presented - when it comes to road-kill pheasant, I'm always happy to swing with the opportunity. This recent RTA bird was initially destined to become 'Pheasant Kiev'. However, while out early yesterday morning to pick the wild garlic required, my mind drifted and happened upon another idea I've had for a while, a take on Dolmades - this was in part due to the terrific size of some of the leaves I was finding, they were perfect for wrapping into mouth watering parcels and a bit of fun too.

The following recipe made 8 dolmades and there is still enough mixture left over for at least 6 more - I should have picked more leaves! It's a flavour fusion reminiscent of the Mediterranean, North Africa and the UK.

Ingr…

Edible Leeds: The Magic of Seaweed at Salvos

After hosting the Anglesey Forage Weekend (July 22nd/23rd), alongside my friend and fellow foraging tutor, Jesper Launder, I stayed on Anglesey to grab some down time and to prepare for the upcoming 'Magic of Seaweed' event at, Mondo Piccolo at, Salvos Salumeria, in Headingley. I had seaweeds to gather, fish to catch and coastal herbs to collect for the evenings menu. After returning to Leeds on the Wednesday, I arrived at Salvos on the Thursday morning and spent the day prepping for the evenings event - I did manage to squeeze a quick 40 minute forage in in the late afternoon to gather some extra herbs and flowers to accompany the evenings dishes; always time for a quick forage...

The evening began with a short talk on seaweeds including where and how to forage for them, lunar cycles and tides, health and nutritional benefits, their effects on human brain development and evolution (science theory based) and the fun bit, how to preserve, prepare and eat various species found …