Skip to main content

Stuffed Giant Puffball Recipe

Stuffed Giant Puffball
Many Moons have passed since I found my first decent patch of Giant Puffball's. I was out driving when, from the periphery of my vision, I caught a fleeting glimpse (blur) of pure angelic white, against the backdrop of a lush green field, I hit the brakes hard (after checking my rear view mirror of course), and I jumped out to peek over the wall of said field. What met my gaze nearly made me pee with excitement, approximately 20 GP's of varying sizes, ranging from golf ball to small child size. I picked half a dozen or so with the implicit intent that two of the medium size ones would be the stars of a fungi feast I was now planning to prepare for a group of friends. The recipe in mind was one I'd seen in the cult classic: Roger Phillips, Wild Food book. The 'Stuffed Giant Puffball' recipe - if you don't have a copy of the book is an absolute cracker and, it can be recreated with any filling of your choice. Since that epic day, I didn't write the recipe I created for the friends fungi feast as it I made it in the days prior to setting up Edible Leeds, before the 'look what I cooked last night' photo craze: my aversion to social media at that time also meant no photos were taken as proof. So, here is one of my takes on a Stuffed Giant Puffball. Recipe - http://edible-leeds.blogspot.co.uk/p/recipes_26.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese Quince Jelly, Syrup and Sweets

Japanese Quince is one of my autumn favourites and one I make a beeline for every year. You can read more about these delightfully scented,  mouth-puckering and fabulously versatile little fruits here:  https://edible-leeds.blogspot.com/2017/11/quince-quince-glorious-quince.html   Japanese Quince Jelly   This beautifully sharp, sweet and dreamily aromatic jelly is one of the creations that go into my JQ Knickerbocker Glory, it also works well spread on to warm toast or served alongside game meats, particularly wildfowl and is great added to sauces to provide an edge of acidity, sweetness and aromatic attitude. There are many other applications for this jelly, so get busy gathering, creating and playing... 1kg Japanese Quince 750g Golden Granulated Sugar Water Wash the fruits to remove any dirt and then place them whole in a large pan. Add water to cover, (approximately 800ml) and bring to the boil, once boiling, reduce heat and simmer until all the fruits split. Po...

Sea Kale

If you are lucky and live close to the sea, especially in striking distance of a shingle beach, then you may just find Sea Kale... As far as coastal edibles go, Sea Kale rocks: it's a true delight! Throughout the winter you will detect very little in the way of signs indicating if Sea Kale is present as it spends the winter tucked up, snugly, beneath the shingle awaiting the Spring. The first signs of life generally begin in early spring (in mild winters it may appear earlier), when the tiniest of shoots, wake from their wintry slumber and start to force their way up through the shingle and, as the season progresses, more and more shoots appear. The leaves, whether new or mature, come in an assortment of varied and magnificent colours (see image top right): greens, purples, reds, greys and lilacs. They are crinkly edged and become more open and rounded edged with age. Eventually, the flowering shoots appear on thick, tender, circular stalks and look remarkably similar to pu...

Alexanders (Smyrnium olusatrum).

'What did the Romans ever do for us' is a phrase synonymous with the UK. Many ancient tribes, cultures and societies have landed on these shores and settled here. Some came with peaceful intentions and others not so (the Romans). Contrary to what is/was reported, there are many members of these various tribes still scattered around the UK. Not only did they leave their genetic imprints behind but also many a plant. I'm not going to delve into the 'horrors of histories past' but I am going to delve into one of the plants of histories past. Alexander Shoots & Seeds Smyrnium olusatrum or as it is more commonly known, Alexanders, is a member of the Apiaceae or Carrot family. Native to the Meditteranean region, it was apparently introduced by the Romans (ta da!) and used widely & extensively as a fodder crop, pot herb and vegetable (all parts are edible and tasty), until it fell out of favour and was superseded by celery. Given the Romans occupied much o...