Skip to main content

Magnolia

This not so wild, exotic, exuberant flower seems to have made itself quite at home in suburban gardens around the UK.
Aside from it's stunning, colourful appearance, it's edible.

Its flavour is somewhat exotic too, deeply floral and perfumed, with notes of peppery, ginger warmth, bitter chicory and a sort of creaminess to boot.

Magnolia is from an ancient lineage of plants, apparently hanging loose prior to the appearance of bees and it's thought the flowers evolved to be pollinated by beetles. With over 200 species among it's ranks, it has a large ancestry. From what I can gather, all species are edible and I've read/heard nothing to counter this.

The flowers usually develop and open in mid spring (I've mostly gathered them previously in the month May) but the unseasonably warm winter weather, particularly the mercury scorching 20 degree temperatures we experienced toward the end of February (2019), led to an early flowering of this beautiful plant.

The season for gathering is often over far too quick - such is the nature of many edible plants - blink and you've missed the opportunity! The weather can indeed be very fickle in the UK so, when the sun shines and it's dry, make a beeline before you are scuppered and find yourself waiting another year.

I find they work well added to wild spring salads, preferring to slice them finely due to their unique and punchy flavour but that's just my preference.

They infuse particularly well in white wine or apple cider vinegar. I add full flowers, removing the green stalk from the base and they very quickly turn the vinegar a delightful shade of pink and infuse it with a delicious flavour and aroma - I like to drizzle a sweetened version of magnolia infused vinegar onto white fish and use it as a base for a lovely summery vinaigrette dressing.

This year I've placed some whole, unopened flowers in a very sweet pickling vinegar I made last autumn, that vinegar was minimally flavoured with lemon zest, dried hogweed seeds and some ginger and I think the magnolia flowers will compliment that vinegar particularly, time will tell. I'm hoping the tight, curled, unopened flowers will retain their shape better as I often find that once the petals have been removed they tend to fold and bend created visible creases in them - I think I'm becoming particularly anal on the aesthetic front... :)


The young tender, crunchy, petals also make for great vessels in which to sit other ingredients and then be served as canapes or as the French say, amuse bouche (I think 'canape' is French also, certainly sounds it?).

I've become very fond of making ice cream and come the warmer weather, forecast for tomorrow, plan to gather a few more blossoms and make a magnolia ice cream. I have it on good authority that it makes a great sorbet too...

My friend and fellow forager, Richard Mawby, has recently steeped magnolia petals in a demerara sugar solution, he has then dehydrated the sugar soaked petals and made a delicious fudge using some of the infused sugar syrup. I literally, just 15 minutes ago made a similar sugar stock syrup using dark soft brown sugar and have filled a kilner with magnolia petals and then poured the syrup over them. I'm going to leave them for approx 5 days as Richard did and then decide on next phase makings.

So, if you're up on your flowers and find yourselves in suburbia, keep your eyes open for magnolia, a gentle knock on someones door and a polite ask, might just see you with a gathering of lovely, edible magnolia.

Happy foraging



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unripe Figs in Syrup

Preserved Unripe Figs. Batch #1  I recently acquired a copy of 'The New Wildcrafted Cuisine' by, Pascal Baudar (many thanks to Dominick Tekos for sending it me). Despite the fact that he resides in California, much of the books content is applicable with regards to techniques, philosophies, creativity and inspiration, and some of the wild plants, regardless of where in the world you reside. Understanding our native floras & faunas is the same the world over I guess. Climates, habitats, techniques, cultures etc do differ but I firmly believe we all have innate and transferable knowledge and practices, whether they be ancient or contemporary (some yet to be rekindled/discovered/attained even), and we can adapt them to our own wild plants, landscapes, seasons, resources and requirements.                                           Now, moving swiftly on to the main theme of this post, the figs. Pascal has a recipe for preserving unripe figs in syrup, I'm aware of a

Fermented Japanese Quince Pickle

I love lime pickle but I love my Japanese Quince pickle even more! Lime pickle is great, it smacks your taste buds all over the place and I like that, it's salty, sour, tart, citrusy and then those spices come in to play with that amazing heat toward to the end. So after last years Japanese Quince harvest (end October, early November) an idea struck me, why not make a pickle akin to lime pickle, quince are tart and have that sour, citrus appeal but with a more delicious attit ude, so I set about making one. After chopping and removing the seeds, I salted the quince to start a short fermentation process, I later added a range of spices and have left it alone ever since (well, not quite true, I have had a few sneak previews to taste how it's been getting along, who wouldn't and besides, I'm making it  :)  ). The initially hard quince have softened nicely and they have become beautifully infused with the spices while retaining that distinctive quince flavour and aroma. Fe

Winter Fungi: Velvet Shank

Winter Fungi: Velvet Shank (Flammulina velutipes). Velvet Shank are the wild alternative to the cultivated form, 'Enokitake' that you find in shops (long tall slender stems with tiny white caps, usually sold in tall plastic sheaths) .  This readily recognisable fungi is like a ray of golden sunshine amid the generally muted and darker hues of winter - camouflage is not it's strong point. This gregarious and social fungi can be found growing on dead/dying logs & stumps, on a variety of tree species including Beech, Sycamore & Horse Chestnut .  Regarding edibility, in my opinion they are top notch & more appealingly so due to the time of year they are found, winter, the hardest season in the foraging calendar. They have  a great mushroom flavour with a slight sweetness reminiscent of caramel.   So, what can you do with them? Fresh, young ones are delightful raw , they can be gently fried in butter, added to broths, pickled & make a great mushroom pate, t